I’ve been talking for the past few weeks about all the experiments I’ve been doing- testing out new construction methods, image transfer techniques, forms, and colours. Part of the current assignment for my project is to do extensive material and technological research (not only doing the research, but also extensively documenting it and turning it into a research booklet), so I’ve currently got almost 150 photos of the processes I’ve been testing out. Rather than subjecting you to 150 photos (AND giving away all my process secrets!), here are selected photos of a few of the more successful experiments I’ve had recently:
One thing I’ve been working on with the chandelier pieces is trying to figure out a way to highlight the details of each element: when it’s all in white, you just see the overall form, but as soon as there’s colour added (and selectively removed), the details suddenly pop:
After seeing a lot of blue-and-white china at the V&A (as well as some lovely blue-and-white fabrics in their textiles index!) I decided I’d try out the blue-and-white motif with these. I experimented with black dye and grayscale (pictured below), but I felt like it made the pieces look dirty. I feel like the blue is so much more successful with these pieces.
So I’m really happy with the solution of using the blue-and-white look for the chandelier pieces- what do you think? What colour would you use if you could choose any colour for these chandelier pieces? If you have a colour to suggest, I’ll try it out and post photos of the results in my next post.
I also did some more experiments with image transferring, using it as a way to make the “lace” pieces more exciting and add another dimension of detail to them- again, I feel like this is really successful and I’m excited about doing more with this and making some really interesting and exciting final pieces!
So there we go- these are just a few photos of the more successful developments for my project. I’m thrilled with all the variations I’m discovering and I’m looking forward to turning all these tests into new, exciting pieces of jewellery. Thanks for reading!
I leave for Amsterdam on Saturday and will get back at the beginning of April. We’ll see how things go, but I’d imagine that you can expect photos and an update about Amsterdam the first week in April. Not too long after that (when I’ve had a chance to get back into the studio!) I’ll hopefully be showing some finished pieces of jewellery based on some of this new research!